10 Spring Home Improvement Projects
Spring has arrived and for many homeowners it brings with it an itch to freshen things up around the house and yard.
It’s the perfect time to take care of a few basic maintenance issues and at the same time make some simple upgrades. Here are 10 tips and projects for improving your home and for keeping it in tip-top shape.
- Clean The Gutters – It can be a messy job, but it goes a long way toward preventing water damage that can be very costly to repair.
- Prune Overgrowth – Spring is the ideal time to trim trees and bushes away from the house. Keeping them clear of the house – both the walls and the roof – keeps moisture away and makes it less likely that animals will get onto the roof and possibly into the attic.
- Stain The Deck – Winter is tough on a wood deck, so if it looks like the stain is peeling it’s time for a new coat. Stain prevents the wood from absorbing moisture, which of course promotes rotting.
- Have Your Air Conditioning Inspected – You don’t want to wait for the heat of summer to learn that your central AC isn’t working properly. Get it inspected now so it’s ready to go and that way you’re ensured that it’s working efficiently, too, minimizing running costs.
- Paint Your Front Door – One way to give your home a fresh new look without spending a lot of money is to paint your front door – either a fresh coat in the current color or try a new color!
- Upgrade To Electronic Deadbolts – There’s no easier way to give your home a modern upgrade than to add a smart lock or two. Use it as a standalone lock, the keypad replacing the key, or some brands, such as Yale Real Living smart locks, can be easily integrated at any time into a home automation or alarm system, and even work with Amazon Alexa.
- Power Wash – Power washing your home can really brighten it up. And while you’re at it, power wash sidewalks and patios. Just be certain that the surface is safe to power wash, and if doing it yourself be careful – wear safety goggles and closed-toe shoes.
- Install Skylights – Not necessarily a do-it-yourself job, but installing skylights are a great way to brighten up a space and they’ll enhance the value of your home.
- Paint a Room – Spring is a great time to freshen up a room with a new coat of paint. Open the windows and let the fresh air quickly dispel the fumes.
- Inspect Walkways and Driveways – The freezing and thawing that takes place during winter can wreak havoc on concrete and asphalt. Now’s the time to look for cracks and seal them. Be sure to use sealant made specifically for the material you’re repairing.